Now that I am a SAHD, I have the right to deprecate it.
Instead, let's start using the term House Dad.
Reasons to ditch the term SAHD:
- It's pathetic. The acronym SAHD may be ironically funny, but the humor dies quickly.
- It takes too much time to say. However there's no good acronym (see problem number 1). So I personally don't have the energy to even say it very often.
- It's redundant. "Home" already indicates the primary seat of the function of "Dad."
- It tries to re-invent the wheel. The term "House Mom" already exists. Why not simply masculinize it, rather than create a more complex term?
- It's neutral.
- It's not redundant, so the term does not beat you over the head. Lack of redundancy enhances clarity.
- It rolls off the tongue. An acronym is unnecessary, since "House Dad" is only two syllables.
- It's an established term.
What do you think?