My bucket list is below. It's concise because my family will share in these dreams. It also feels incredibly spießig (narrow-mindedly middle class). No doubt it would have been more adventuresome before I became a house dad, or even a dad. Rest assured, I feel very far from achieving any of them. At the bottom, I've posted some items that I've already reached, for reference.
Let me know what one dream of yours is.
- Live in Tokyo for at least a year, three is even better. Radiation from Fukushima may be a concern for the kids' development, says my cousin who lives there.
- Live in Singapore for some time.
- Live a life worth writing about.
- Learn enough kanji to read a newspaper and a Murakami novel. Computer translation will become good enough, fast enough, before I achieve this.
- Learn to surf well. This may take the rest of my life.
Build / Create
- With Jeff, and we may need more partners:
- Start and run a sustainable business, this may be in conjunction with publishing.
- Publish a book
- Design, fund, and build an arcology
- Coach my family in the design and construction of our house, a la Jaron Lanier.
- Publish a book about my experiences as a house dad, by myself or by contract.
- Publish a novel.
- Raise kids well enough so when we kick them out of the house at 18 years of age and remodel their rooms, they'll survive.
- Deepen and broaden intimacy with my wife. I treasure her.
- Coach kids to learn while creating things, and to use both their hands and their minds. If they decide to, assist them to market and sell what they create.
- Live in harmony with the earth as much as possible.
- Teach kids autodidacticism. Or is this something you can only learn yourself?
- Care for my parents if/when they need me in their old age, no idea how I'll do this if we live far away. No idea how I'll do this.
- Keep in contact with those friends who have real meaning to me until I die.
- Share that scotch with JR, in his mountain cabin and on top of the arcology we built.
- Take my kids to see the key buildings I worked on, which are mainly in New York, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.
- With my wife and/or kids, adventure in Shanghai, Bangkok, Petra, Scandinavia, India, Africa, Russia, Brazil.
- See the Bali sunset while drinking an ice cold beer and leaning back on a sand dune.
- Hike on a glacier before they are all gone.
- Take a ship to see and walk on the Arctic or Antarctic ice.
- Live without a home for a couple of years enjoying life without kids, enjoying life with Sara, while staying at rented apartments for about a month or so at a time.
- Live/study in Japan.
- Live in Berlin (Magdeburg is close enough).
- Learn the German language and culture (thanks KB!)
- Live, party, and work in New York City.
- Become a licensed architect; design and build for university clients.
- Marry an amazing woman and have beautiful kids.
- Do a Master's degree.
- Walk the DMZ between the two Koreas.
- Savor sushi at Tsukiji Market.
- Learn to surf at Playa Tamarindo in Costa Rica.
- Watch the sunset from the ancient city wall of Tangiers.